control webbrowser remotely?

Martin Bless

Web browsers like Firefox have really cool abilities nowadays. Objects
in the current document can be addressed and manipulated by
Javascript. Not very comfortable and not easy to debug.

Q: Is there a way to reach objects in the document from Python?
That would be cool!

Like for instance it's possible to control Excel remotely on Windows.

Anybody knows something?

Martin

Diez B. Roggisch

Martin said:
Web browsers like Firefox have really cool abilities nowadays. Objects
in the current document can be addressed and manipulated by
Javascript. Not very comfortable and not easy to debug.

Q: Is there a way to reach objects in the document from Python?
That would be cool!

Like for instance it's possible to control Excel remotely on Windows.

Anybody knows something?

Its called automation and available in windows for ages. Its implemented
via the COM component object model, and this can be used with Mark
Hammond's win32 extensions for Python.

However, the Firefox object model (based on XCOM I believe) is a
different beast - might be able to get a grip on it, but its firefox own
thing then. And I'm not sure if it is possible to embed python instead
of JScript.

Regards,

Diez