conversion of proj from Vb to .NET

Amka

Hi

I have a project which I converted from Vb to Vb.NEt

But the system is running extremely slow. I have Intel PIII Processor , 256
MB RAM. Plz let me know if tehre is anything I can do to enhance the
performance of my system.

I know from MSDN that vs.net can run on p-II even, then why is the system so
slow?

Regards.

Peter van der Goes

Amka said:
Hi

I have a project which I converted from Vb to Vb.NEt

But the system is running extremely slow. I have Intel PIII Processor , 256
MB RAM. Plz let me know if tehre is anything I can do to enhance the
performance of my system.

I know from MSDN that vs.net can run on p-II even, then why is the system so
slow?

Regards.
Please provide some details, Amka.
What, exactly, is running slowly? The Visual Studio .NET IDE, your solution
in the IDE, or your solution as deployed? What does your solution do? Is
database access involved, etc? Also, what speed CPU and what other hardware
is involved?
Without detailed information it's difficult to provide constructive
suggestions, except to say that if your concerns are about Visual Studio
..NET itself, an additional 256 Meg of memory will produce a noticeable
improvement, IME.

Cor

Hi Amka,

Herfried K. Wagner says often he uses a PII 350 (I do not know if that is
changed)

So tell us something more what is the slow part?
Maybe we can help you then.

Cor

Amka

Thanks Peter. I have even tried with extra RAM, it did not help. I have
given the details here. Plz see the reply to Cor.

Amka

In addition to Armin's comments
I did not find any response by Armin. Appreciate if you look into the
details of my issue,as given to Cor.

Amka

Sure Cor. Actually I converted this project from VB to VB.NET
Now as I open this project by clicking to any form in the solution's
explorer, it takes considerable amount of time to open the form. After the
form is opened, the pointer is still as the hourglass for a long time.So the
issues are showing up in the design time itself. Do we have some settings
here that could be changed accordingly to enhance the system's performance,
like the InterOp, or debugger, or any background process that might be
having a direct link with the performance? Please help. Also, I must mention
that the application is pretty huge with around 120 forms and class modules
put together.
Regards.

What we would ideally like is to know if there are any settings in .NET IDE

which would result in a performance hit. Would there be any settings ( like

referrring to InterOp DLLs) which could be turned off or for that matter

turned on which would help us.

Also would there be any background process running ( like a debugger or so)

which may reduce the speed. We have noticed that even after a file is

opened in design/code view, the mouse pointer is still in the hourglass

mode which typically indicates that there are some background processes

running.

Cor

Hi Amka,

Are you using 2002 or 2003 because 2002 I remember me now is starting much
slower than 2003.

Cor

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Amka,
I did not find any response by Armin.
Have you noticed that you cross posted this to multiple newsgroups?

Have you noticed that the replies are not necessarily cross posted to all
the original newsgroups?

Appreciate if you look into the
details of my issue,as given to Cor.
Two important questions?

- Are you running VS.NET 2002 or VS.NET 2003?
- Is this an issue with VS.NET or running your app?

Hope this helps
Jay