    dominant Guest

    any good tool?

    any response would be appreciated

    dominant, Sep 11, 2003

  2. dominant

    Artie Gold Guest

    Yes, generically it's called a programmer, sometimes referred
    to as a software engineer or developer. Some are tools.

    Seriously though, this is not a question about the standard C
    programming language, hence off topic here.

    Please RTFF.
    --ag

    Artie Gold, Sep 11, 2003

  3. dominant

    Malcolm Guest

    It depends what you want to use the C source for. Generally automated
    translaters don't produce human-readable C, nor do they produce particularly
    efficient C.
    Since you presumably already have a VBasic implementation for your platform,
    there's not much advantage in having a C version of your programs.

    Malcolm, Sep 11, 2003
  4. So, there's no point in bothering with such a conversion for a L:inux,
    Unix, or Mac box?

    Fred L. Kleinschmidt, Sep 11, 2003
  5. dominant

    Malcolm Guest

    Firstly you would have to separate out all the MS Windows specific stuff.
    Then you would not have to care that your Linux code is not editable or even
    readable.
    This might be the case - say in a completely debugged chess program written
    in Visual Basic. The rules of chess are not going to change, so we can treat
    the play_chess function as a black box.
    Generally however you would be better off rewriting the whole thing in C
    using a human programmer.

    Malcolm, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Grey matter.

    Kelsey Bjarnason, Sep 12, 2003
  7. dominant

    dominant Guest

    I see, The program in Vbasic is about some mathematical calculations
    regarding some experiements.

    Is it easy to do that?

    dominant, Sep 12, 2003
  8. The actual mathematics will be easy to translate. It's the interaction
    with the OS (Windows, Linux, ...) where you'll be most likely to have
    problems. GUIs, in particular, translate badly, as Linux doesn't support
    the Win32 API (for obvious reasons).

    "You have moved your mouse, for these changes to take effect you must shut down
    and restart your computer. Do you want to restart your computer now?"
    - Karri Kalpio

    Joona I Palaste, Sep 12, 2003
  9. dominant

    dominant Guest

    Well, if the program uses forms (Vbasic) then i should make similar
    forms in C? Even in a Dos mode?

    dominant, Sep 12, 2003
  10. C does not know of "forms" or "Dos mode". C is specified purely in the
    terms of an abstract machine. Read your own implementation's manual to
    find out about "forms" or "Dos mode".

    "Shh! The maestro is decomposing!"
    - Gary Larson

    Joona I Palaste, Sep 12, 2003