cookie value being garbled.

Peter Row

Hi,

I have a legacy VB6 webclass app that has been directly ported
to VB.NET. My .NET webclass infrastructure works in more or
less the same way but is now specific to my app and not the
generic like the original MS version. This is all implemented in
1 DLL using a series of HttpHandlers and HttpModules.

Anyhow, I need to do manual authentication ticket handling,
which in this case I use an MD5 hash for.

Situation/Problem:
When a user visits the site they are automatically logged in as
an appropriate langauge guest, i.e. English guest, French guest
based on browser settings. They can then browse the site etc...
Each request to the site refreshes the ticket (stored in a cookie).
This all works great and they can browse as much as they want.

HOWEVER.... if you login and hence get a new ticket all
together then the next request after the login OK page receives
the ticket cookie in what appears to be URL encoding.
I decode this using the built in ASP.NET methods but this
has the side-effect of corrupting the MD5 hashed part of the
ticket, because when checking it's validity it fails.

I tracked the progress of requests and found that everything is
okay up to and including the end of the processing of the
login OK page. The next request which comes in through
a HttpHandler factory (which does nothing except work out
what class it needs to instantiate and set running) the cookie
is mangled.

Any ideas as to why the cookie would be fine for all requests
when auto-logged in as a guest but then get screwed after login
would be much appreciated.

P.S I don't do anything special when logging in, I just check
the user/pwd against DB and say either yes (authenticate with
a new ticket) or no.

Regards,
Peter