create "google" interface on local machine

Michal

Hi,
I'm trying to do the follow:
Create web interface that will allow me to enter keywords (as in
google) and when push "search" button- it needs to execute a c++ code
(exe file) and to pass the keywords as input to the program that
returns some answers. Then I need to present the answers as links
(again, the same way as in google). I need to do it on my local
machine (no server). Since I'm not familiar with web programming any
help will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Michal

Toby Inkster

Michal said:
Create web interface that will allow me to enter keywords (as in
google) and when push "search" button- it needs to execute a c++ code
(exe file) and to pass the keywords as input to the program that
returns some answers. Then I need to present the answers as links
(again, the same way as in google). I need to do it on my local
machine (no server). Since I'm not familiar with web programming any
help will be appreciated.

Install some web server software on your local machine -- e.g. Apache or
Xitami.

Read the CGI specification to find out how your C++ program should
interact with the web server software. (Summary: your program should get
its data by looking at the "QUERY_STRING" environment variable and should
print the output HTML to STDOUT.)

Mitja

Hi,
I'm trying to do the follow:
Create web interface that will allow me to enter keywords (as in
google) and when push "search" button- it needs to execute a c++ code
(exe file) and to pass the keywords as input to the program that
returns some answers. Then I need to present the answers as links
(again, the same way as in google). I need to do it on my local
machine (no server). Since I'm not familiar with web programming any
help will be appreciated.

Bad you can't do without web server software, just like Toby said.
You don't exactly need apache, you may install something lighter.

Andy Dingley

You may be able to do something along this line with a .hta
HTML Application.

Not a hope ! Think about client vs. server-side issues. Besides
which, HTA's are pure evil.

Assuming that the OP is a whizzy Windows C programmer, then I suggest
they ignore .EXE's and CGI. Make it into an ActiveX instead, then use
IIS (web server) ASP and JScript (M$oft's flavour of JavaScript) to
connect to it. If you can write C++, you can work ASP & JScript.