Create "Round" Cells for Text?

Karl Burrows

I am trying to design a site for a small non-profit and the layout we have
has everything in circles (pictures, text layout, etc.). Is there a way to
create a text box/cell that will layout in a circle?

Karl Groves

Karl Burrows said:
I am trying to design a site for a small non-profit and the layout we have
has everything in circles (pictures, text layout, etc.). Is there a way
create a text box/cell that will layout in a circle?

Yes. If your circle looks *exactly* like a box.

-Karl

SpaceGirl

Karl said:
I am trying to design a site for a small non-profit and the layout we have
has everything in circles (pictures, text layout, etc.). Is there a way to
create a text box/cell that will layout in a circle?

Yes - draw a circle in your fave drawing program, then save it as GIF
of JPEG. You can then use this as a background for a cell, using CSS;

td { background: url(roundedbackground.gif); text-align:center; }

....or something along those lines. Each cell in your table will then
automatically have your background image applied to it, and your cell
content will appear on top of that background. Messing around with other
attributes such as padding and margins will let you place the text in
the right possition, and you can also mess with the background alignment
(top, middle, center etc...).

Word of warning - if you're cells will have lots of different sized
content, you might become unstuck as your background WONT expand with
the cell...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

kchayka

SpaceGirl said:
Yes - draw a circle in your fave drawing program, then save it as GIF
of JPEG. You can then use this as a background for a cell, using CSS;

Word of warning - if you're cells will have lots of different sized
content, you might become unstuck as your background WONT expand with
the cell...

Nor will the background adjust to changes in text size, so text at an
enlarged size will overflow the background and either look broken, or
become unreadable. Text at a smaller size will probably look "off", too.

Both sound like A Bad Thing(TM) to me.

Karl Burrows

Thanks SpaceGirl! I figured that would be the case. Probably best not to
fool with it. I kind of knew it wasn't really possible, but I haven't
messed with HTML in a while, so I thought I would check.

Dennis Calhoun

Yes - draw a circle in your fave drawing program, then save it as GIF
of JPEG. You can then use this as a background for a cell, using CSS;

td { background: url(roundedbackground.gif); text-align:center; }

...or something along those lines. Each cell in your table will then
automatically have your background image applied to it, and your cell
content will appear on top of that background. Messing around with other
attributes such as padding and margins will let you place the text in
the right possition, and you can also mess with the background alignment
(top, middle, center etc...).

Word of warning - if you're cells will have lots of different sized
content, you might become unstuck as your background WONT expand with
the cell...

It might be more predictable and consistent to use such an image as
the link itself, with the text added as part OF the image in each
case. That way the text would not change sizes with resolution
differences, monitor size differences or if the user overrides display
settings.

Leif K-Brooks

Dennis said:
It might be more predictable and consistent to use such an image as
the link itself, with the text added as part OF the image in each
case. That way the text would not change sizes with resolution
differences, monitor size differences or if the user overrides display
settings.

In other words, it will suck: people with vision problems won't be able
to make the text larger, people with better-than-average vision won't be
able to make it less annoyingly large, and people with huge monitors
won't be able to make it vaguely readable.

R2G2

I'd been having the same problem and had just about come to the same
conclusion - good to know I was on the right lines (Speech bubble with
text in as a picture - to solve the problems with layers)
In other words, it will suck: people with vision problems won't be able
to make the text larger, people with better-than-average vision won't be
able to make it less annoyingly large, and people with huge monitors
won't be able to make it vaguely readable.

But my site is for kids, so it's supposed to have fairly large text.

Dennis Calhoun

In other words, it will suck: people with vision problems won't be able
to make the text larger, people with better-than-average vision won't be
able to make it less annoyingly large, and people with huge monitors
won't be able to make it vaguely readable.

I didn't imply that I thought it was a perfect solution, just a way
that it could be done that would display in a consistent manner.

Dennis C.