Create web test in VS 2008

Andrew Morton

Radovan said:
I am starting to work with ASP.NET and VS 2008. I have read some MSDN
articles about creating web tests here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms182551(VS.80).aspx
but when i run Add New Item I don't see Web Test. I have only Ordered
Test and Unit Test. What can cause this, maybe this is not complete
installation?

That article states that you need Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition
for Software Testers. Do you have the equivalent version of VS2008, if there
is one? Of course, MS might have added the Web Test into other versions of
VS2008.

It is quite easy, if perhaps a bit slow, to add and remove components to
Visual Studio using the setup program.

Andrew

Radovan Radic

Thanks Andrew, I guess I will need to talk to my admin. I work remotely
and can't install software by myself.
Maybe we can add it with Add/Remove features.

Tnx,
Radovan

Gregory A. Beamer

You are using Pro, not Team, I would imagine. If you have Team, you do not
have it installed (or at least not the Team for Test bits).

Gregory A. Beamer

If you have a Team SKU, you can "reinstall" and it will isntall over the Pro
version. When you start it back up, it will ask you to "reset" the IDE, but
it will allow you to choose your previous set up.

Radovan Radic

I am obviously missing Team System Testing Edition, did not know it was
not installed.

Thanks guys,
Radovan

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The dev should have the basic unit testing, just like Pro does in 2008. In
2005, the Dev had unit testing, but Pro did not.

To get any deeper in the testing tools, you need to either add Team Test or
use Team Suite.

Essential, there are 5 SKUs currently

Team Archtiect
Team Developer
Team Test
Team Database
and Team Suite

There is another SKU coming out shortly for admins. Team Suite is all of hte
SKUs.

This matrix should give you a better idea of what tests you can run with the
Team Developer edition:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts2008/products/bb991841.aspx

Notice that it is basically Unit and Code Coverage Testing at that level.
With Pro, you only have Unit Testing, no code coverage.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, Se, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box! |