Creating an aggregate schema

Ed Trembicki-Guy

Does anyone know of an existing tool or template to merge the contents
of a base schema and an extension schema that uses the <redefine> tag
to extend the base schema?

I need to extract a subset of a very large schema so that I can use it
with JAXB. I have created an xslt template to do this, and it works
as long as the entire schema is in one file. The trouble is, I need
to work with an extended schema, and xslt does not recognize the
<redefine> tag as anything special, so it does not know how to include
the contents of the base schema.

I can probably build a pre-processing template that uses the
document() function in order to produce a merged schema, but I'd
rather use something that's already out there and working.

TIA for any suggestions.

Regards,
Ed

Henry S. Thompson

Does anyone know of an existing tool or template to merge the contents
of a base schema and an extension schema that uses the <redefine> tag
to extend the base schema?

Using XSLT to implement W3C XML Schema compilation, as it were, is a
pretty-near impossible task. I recommend you use one of the schema
processors such as XSV or Xerces which provide PSVI reflections out as
XML, and work from that. I'm not aware of anything which converts
such output back in to one schema document per namespace, but it
shouldn't be too hard.

ht
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Ed Trembicki-Guy

Nevermind. It rained all weekend, so I wrote the template I needed.
It will need a little tweaking to be completely generic and/or
comprehensive, but it's addressing my current needs.