Cross Browser compatibility question

tom

I am learning css and am starting to make headway. However, I occasionally
get weird results especially with I.E.

When I create a three column lay out when I first launch it the contents of
the left column get bumped into the center column! If I do a refresh of the
page it goes back to the left and stays there. Firefox and firebird never
have this issue. I have been looking into crossbrowser stuff what is going
on?

Ultimately, I would like to be dong this stuff with out help. So if any one
could recommend a good tutorial on making pages with css look good on "all"
browsers I would greatly appreciate that also.

Thanks;
Tom

------ begin html file

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd" >
<head>
<title>The Charles River Company</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="formating.css" type="text/css" />
</head>

located at:<br>
1650 South Pacific Coast Highway<br>
padding:0; } #pagewidth{ width:100%; min-width: 500px; } #header{
height:80px; width:100%; background-color:#0000C0; color: AliceBlue; }
#leftcol{ width:180px; float:left; position:relative; margin-left:-180px;
margin-right:1px; } #outer{ border:solid white 0px; border-left-color:
#0999FF; border-left-style: solid; background-color: #FFFFFF; width:
uto; } #footer{ height:45px; width:100%; background-color:#FFFFFF; }
#inner{margin:0; width:100%;} #maincol{ float: left; width: 100%;
position: relative; margin: 0 -8px 0 -2px; } #outer>#inner {
border-bottom: 1px solid #FFFFFF; } .clr{clear:both;}
..content{padding:5px;} #header .content{padding-bottom:0;} ----- end
formating.css

Mark Parnell

I am learning css and am starting to make headway.
Excellent.

However, I occasionally get weird results especially with I.E.

Don't we all?
When I create a three column lay out when I first launch it the contents of
the left column get bumped into the center column! If I do a refresh of the
page it goes back to the left and stays there. Firefox and firebird never
have this issue. I have been looking into crossbrowser stuff what is going
on?

I don't know. URL?
Ultimately, I would like to be dong this stuff with out help. So if any one
could recommend a good tutorial on making pages with css look good on "all"
browsers I would greatly appreciate that also.

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
http://www.css.nu/
http://www.mako4css.com/
http://www.richinstyle.com/
http://www.blazonry.com/css/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.websitetips.com/css/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
http://www.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php/content.php3?aid=48
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/writing_stylesheets.html
http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xhtml2/exerpt/css-4a.html
http://idm.internet.com/articles/200101/csstutorial1a.html
http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/articles/tsutsumi.html
http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/css_tutorial/
http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

layout examples:
http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.wannabegirl.org/css/
http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
http://thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/index.html
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

rounded corners:
http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
http://www.webweaver.org/dan/css/corners/
http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
centring: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/www/centre/
lists: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/
pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

master compatibility charts:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/css2tests/intro.html
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html
old:
http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/

hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

css checkers:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

cascading style sheets, level 1 specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1.html
cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
http://www.w3.org/tr/rec-css2/cover.html
cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 working draft
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-CSS21-20020802/

(thanks brucie)

tom

I am not sure why the css formating suddenly went in the toilet. Let me try
again.

html, body{
margin:0;
padding:0;
}

#pagewidth{
width:100%;
min-width: 500px;

}

#header{
height:80px;
width:100%;
background-color:#0000C0;
color: AliceBlue;
}

#leftcol{
width:180px;
float:left;
position:relative;
margin-left:-180px;
margin-right:1px;
}

#outer{
border:solid white 0px;

border-left-color: #0999FF;
border-left-style: solid;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
width: auto;
}

#footer{
height:45px;
width:100%;
background-color:#FFFFFF;
}

#inner{margin:0; width:100%;}

#maincol{
float: left;
width: 100%;
position: relative;
margin: 0 -8px 0 -2px;
}

#outer>#inner { border-bottom: 1px solid #FFFFFF; }

..clr{clear:both;}

..content{padding:5px;}

#header .content{padding-bottom:0;}

Nik Coughin

tom said:
I am not sure why the css formating suddenly went in the toilet. Let
me try again.

html, body{
margin:0;
padding:0;
}
<snip>

Tom, you will find that you will get more help if you provide an url to the
page in question. If you have to, upload it to a temporary web space of
some kind.

Neal

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
(thanks brucie)

I know full well you were quoting brucie, but seeing "giggly" in your post
makes me want to laugh...

brucie

In alt.html tom said:
Hmmm, that is odd. When I bring up the page locally it always screws up the
first time. I uploaded it to the web and it looks fine! ARGH!

on occasions IE will display pages differently when they're local.
usually involves margins and padding.

brucie

In alt.html Mark Parnell said:
You'll have to come visit. ;-)

i'll drive down on the weekend. i cant wait to meet the dead bitch that
stole you from me.. ummm... did i say that out loud .... i mean your
lovely wife.

Sid Ismail

:
: When I create a three column lay out when I first launch it the contents of
: the left column get bumped into the center column!

You are missing a </td> somewhere, I imagine.

URL?

Sid