Crystal Reports. Changing dataset schema

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michelle Stone, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Hi all

    I recently changed the schema of a dataset (added one
    field, and changed another field type from STRING to
    DATE). I want this reflected in my Crystal Reports
    Designer.

    Please don't tell me to recreate the report as a lot of
    work has already been spent on this report.

    I will list the solutions I got from others on
    groups.google.com newsgroups:

    1. Verify Database : Doesn't work. Even found others
    commenting that this just detects new tables, and not new
    fields.

    2. DATABASE/SET LOCATION: This supposedly worked for one
    person on this newsgroup. But didn't for me. Or am I not
    doing it correctly? When I tried to set the location to
    the same location (and then clicking REPLACE) it loaded
    the same old dataset

    3. Restart Visual Studio.NET: Didn't work

    4. Close and reload the .rpt and .xsd file : Didn't work

    5. Log on/off the server : Didn't work

    HELP! :)

    Regards

    Michelle

    Michelle Stone, Dec 19, 2003

  2. My vote would be the same as number 2 below. I've done this numerous times
    as I change the schema of my typed datasets. Be sure your new dataset is
    coming up in the list to select...

    -Darrin

    Darrin J Olson, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Thanks for your message

    I tried again and again... but didn't work. Can u please detail the
    exact steps to perform?

    This is what I do. In field explorer, i right-click the dataset to
    update. Then I click on SET LOCATION. When the list comes up, I
    already have the same dataset as the "CURRENT DATASET" and I have the
    same dataset in the tree control on the right as the default
    selection. I just click on REPLACE and close the dialog. But the field
    explorer still shows the same old dataset.

    Anything I am missing? Thanks...

    Michelle Stone, Dec 22, 2003