Curses module.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alex, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hello all,

    I'm trying to learn Python, in particular the curses module. My system
    is running Slackware 9.0 and the verion of Python that comes installed
    with Slackware 9.0 is Python 2.2.2.

    I've been trying to access the curses.wrapper module without any
    success. I know that the wrapper exists in /usr/lib/python2.2/curses yet
    any reference that I make to it is rebuffed by the interpreter.

    Here's the python script I'm trying to run:

    Code (Text):

    # My first attempts at writing a curses interface using python

    import curses

    def newWindow():
        begin_x = 20 ; begin_y = 7
        height = 5 ; width = 40
        win = curses.newwin(height, width, begin_y, begin_x)

    # Pass the function to the curses wrapper

    This is the error message that I get when I try to run the script from
    the CLI:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./", line 15, in ?
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'wrapper'

    Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong?

    Alex the Python Newbie
    Alex, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Alex

    Jp Calderone Guest

    Do you, perhaps, have a file named "" in your current directory?
    If so, "import curses" will load this, and not the stdlib module.

    You could also try printing "curses.__file__" to make sure the module is
    really coming from where you believe it is.

    Jp Calderone, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    You were both correct.

    I simply had to get rid on the program (my first test program)
    and everything worked fine.

    Thanks again for the help. I can get down to some serious
    learning/hair-pulling frustration :)

    Alex, Jul 17, 2003