Customizing localized applications

Piotr Strycharz

Hi

I'm wondering what is the best way to design localized applications. The SDK
says I should use ResourceManager and satellite assemblies.
However, there is a severe pitfall doing this. The application is
distributed to several customers. Of course - they want customized
resources. One can like "hello", another one - "hi". I'm not going doing
this, because I would have to keep all the versions I sold. I want customer
to customize the strings itself.
Assemblies are DLL-s. So there is no way to change resources except
recompiling application. Certainly, this is not acceptable solution. First:
I don't want to distribute code to customers. Second: they do not own
VS.NET.
The other way is to use Assembly Linker (al.exe) which is (probably, did not
check) included in SDK. Even if so, it is not acceptable, too. First: one
need to install full SDK, second: there is small probability for customer
being happy using command line tool...
Currently, I've end up with separate ASCX controls for different languages.
Controls are loaded based on selected culture. Of course, there is hard work
when changing layout. I need to do this in all the controls. Well, it's not
quite stupid idea also - some strange languages have right to left
orientation - so the pages may look different for them (not just strings).

As you can see - no solution is perfect. Any clues?

Regards.

clintonG

I agree -- Karl's article is insightful. IMO using compiled assemblies
and satellite assemblies is a serious design flaw.

Do not miss reading the comment, "Sophisticated literal control
needed" as it begins to discuss some critical considerations.

Although I understand the concept of literals I failed to understand how
to use what Karl and Frank seemed to understand when they discussed
a solution in that comment section.

If Karl returns to this discussion I hope he could explain the use of
literals further (in the context we are discussing) or be aware that his
next article needs to explain the use of literals in this context.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher, "Twice the Results -- Half the Cost"
Architectural & e-Business Consulting -- Software Development

Karl

Clinton,
As this is an important issue, you can count on it being address in either
Part 2, or a 3rd part. I'd comment more on Frank's approach, but I haven't
played with it yet. I do believe that his template solution is very elegant
and and sure it'll work, but I'll want to test its flexibility first.

Karl

clintonG

Thanks Karl.

<%= Clinton Gallagher