Data compression in Socket

Biku

Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

thanks a lot!
biku

Walter Roberson

:Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
:to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
:before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
:if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

So do it already. You can get bzip library sources easily enough,
and when I've looked at similar libraries they have always included
the facility to compress strings in memory as well as to compress files.

Rich Gibbs

Bike said the following, on 02/09/05 15:00:
Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

This really is not a question about the C language. The group
comp.unfix.programmer is probably better for this sort of thing.

[OT]
The 'lib' compression library is available for both Linux and Windows:
http://www.zlib.org/

Descriptions of the compressed formats are in RFC 1950-1952.
[/OT]

Gregory Toomey

Biku said:
Hi I have written a client/server socket programme in Linux. Now I need
to compress data using zip or bzip2 compression or whatever is possible
before sending the data via socket to the remote end. It will be great
if the client and server can interoperate in linux and windows.

thanks a lot!
biku

Good for you.

gtoomey