Database access crashes

headware

We're using an access database and are getting a lot of crashes when
as little as 3 or so users try to write to the database at the same
time. Typically it's the "operation must use updateable query" error
or the "file already in use" error. The server is really just a laptop
running Windows XP pro with 256 Megs of memory. It doesn't really have
to accommodate more than 10 users at once but it's crashing out at way
less. We can't figure out if this is an Access issue or an IIS issue
(we're using IIS 5.1) or maybe a coding issue. Access is supposed to
allow for up to 255 simultaneous accesses at once from what I've read.
We are using a web service as a data access layer. I don't know if
that's having an affect or not. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

GVaught

This is a permissions issue. All users must have read/write/change/execute
privileges to the location of the database as well as on the database. This
is so the ldb locking file can be opened.

headware

I appreciate the replies. We were able to fix the issue. It looks like
it was related to the number of threads that windows was spawning off
under the ASPNET user. We read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316675

and modified the <processModel> element of the machine.config file and
that seemed to do the trick. We're not sure that's the final solution
we'll go with, but it will work for testing right now.

Dave