DataGrid LinkButton question

Angela

I have a ButtonColumn in my DataGrid and I used the ButtonColumnType LinkButton, however I would like to remove the underline from the button text

I tried

ButtonColumn butTemp = new ButtonColumn()
butTemp.ButtonType = ButtonColumnType.LinkButton
butTemp.CommandName = "EDIT"
butTemp.Text = <determined by a database entry
butTemp.HeaderText = "Document Description"
butTemp.ItemStyle.Font.Underline = false

But that doesn't remove the underline. Is there a way to remove the underline

I tried removing the line with a regular LinkButton on a WebForm and I was able to remove the underline on a regular LinkButton, but I haven't found a way to do it in the DataGrid

this is how I removed the underline on the LinkButton

LinkButton lb = new LinkButton()
lb.Attributes.Add("text-decoration", "none");

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi Angela,
The css style below will set the following styling to all anchor
elements(hyperlinks)
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!--
A { color: red; text-decoration: none} /* unvisited link */
A:visited { color: blue;text-decoration: none } /* visited link */
A:active { color: green; text-decoration: none} /* active link */
A:hover { color: gold;text-decoration: none } /* hover or mousover link
*/
//-->
</STYLE>

whereas the example below will set style on a specific anchor element whose
class attribute is set to the following class.

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
.Buttoncolumn { color: darkred; font-size:14pt; } /* unvisited link */
.Buttoncolumn:visited { color: indianred; text-decoration: none} /*
visited link */
.Buttoncolumn:active { color: gold;text-decoration: none } /* active
link */
.Buttoncolumn:hover { color: darkgreen; text-decoration: none} /*
hover or mousover link */
</STYLE>

now just pass the class to your bound column :

butTemp.ItemStyle.CssClass = "Buttoncolumn"

For a quick tutorial reference below :
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_pseudo_classes.asp
Angela said:
I have a ButtonColumn in my DataGrid and I used the ButtonColumnType
LinkButton, however I would like to remove the underline from the button
text.
I tried:

ButtonColumn butTemp = new ButtonColumn();
butTemp.ButtonType = ButtonColumnType.LinkButton;
butTemp.CommandName = "EDIT";
butTemp.Text = <determined by a database entry>
butTemp.HeaderText = "Document Description";
butTemp.ItemStyle.Font.Underline = false;

But that doesn't remove the underline. Is there a way to remove the underline?

I tried removing the line with a regular LinkButton on a WebForm and I was
able to remove the underline on a regular LinkButton, but I haven't found a
way to do it in the DataGrid.

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi Angela,

Thank you for posting in the community!

You can just follow Alessandro's reply to use CssClass to hide the
underline.

What I want to add is why ButtonColumn.ItemStyle.Font.Underline = false
does not work:
LinkButton will render as <a> html tag, and the default style for <a> will
have underline. So the underline is a part of the link element(<a>), not a
part of Font(Which will default has no underline, you can determine this
through Response.Write(ButtonColumn.ItemStyle.Font.Underline.ToString())),
so you should use css attribute "text-decoration: none" to hide the
underline.

of assistance.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]

Hi Angela,

Does my reply make sense to you?

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to feedback. I will help you.