Debug in Eclipse RDT

Wandering Mango

It looks to me as if the plugin for Eclipse is the most useable Ruby
IDE; but I'm having a problem getting the debugger working. The
program runs from Eclipse and gives output without a problem. But
debug results in the following:

Under the Console window: ruby 1.8.2 debugger listens on port 1098

Under the Debug window: <terminated, exit value: 15> ...

Under the Event details window - Message: Ruby process terminated
because no connection to the debugger could me (sic.) made

Under the Event details window - Exception stack trace: An exception
stack trace could not be found.

Under the Event details window - Session details:
eclipse.buildId=M200409161125
java.version=1.4.2_05
java.vendor=Apple Computer, Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=ppc, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -keyring /Users/blah/.eclipse_keyring
-showlocation

I never get to the point where I can step through the program. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Travis Smith

Not that this is terribly helpful, but I found the Eclipse plugin
lacking most of the useful features of Eclipse so I went back to vi.
Do we have a class browser? Refactoring tools? The source code
wouldn't auto indent (but I admit I didn't play with it long enough to
see if this was the plugin or just a setting I needed to tweak). Do we
get code completion?

I also didn't get the debugger working on Mac OS X. I never tried on
my PC. Like I said though I got frustrated and went back to vi. :)

I hope you get it figured out!

Yogi

The debugger seems to sort of work on my machine... it seg faults if I
have the "variables" view open, but seems to work fine if the view is
not visible

I'm using gentoo:
2.6.10-gentoo-r6
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i686-linux]
eclipse-sdk-3.0.1-r2

Richard Dale

Travis said:
Not that this is terribly helpful, but I found the Eclipse plugin
lacking most of the useful features of Eclipse so I went back to vi.
Do we have a class browser? Refactoring tools? The source code
wouldn't auto indent (but I admit I didn't play with it long enough to
see if this was the plugin or just a setting I needed to tweak). Do we
get code completion?

I also didn't get the debugger working on Mac OS X. I never tried on
my PC. Like I said though I got frustrated and went back to vi. :)
Have you tried KDevelop 3.2 which has just been released as part of KDE 3.4?
It has a ruby source code debugger, class browser, integrated UI builder
and so on.

It probably isn't very easy to get working on Mac OS X though, I use it on
an iMac running Yellow Dog 4.0 Linux.

-- Richard

Travis Smith

I'll see what version fink has. I try not to build too much myself on
this system, though I'm not sure I have a good reason for it. My
debian system is a mess, maybe that's why. I installed the base
pakages, but built just about everything else from source because
debian's stable deb's are two years old (okay, maybe not two years,
but I like using and playing with new technologies).

Maybe I can find precompiled if fink doesn't have it...

Either way I'll try and check it out. X11 stuff is a bit slow compared
to Aqua, doesn't have built in spell checking (not that I use it on
code, but I most likely should...), and all around just isn't as
pretty.

Thanks,