Debugging / Single Step into event procedures

R Millman

under ASP.NET, single stepping in debug mode appears not
to stop within event procedures. i.e. 1) Create web page
with submit button and event procedure for the click
event in the code behind page, 2) Breakpoint in the
Page_Load, 3) debug the web page and click the submit
button, 4) "step into" under debug several times, 5) The
debugger does not stop at any of the statements in the
click event handler. A breakpoint is needed in each
event routine that you wish to single step through,
rather than the debugger simply stopping at each line of
your code (this was the behavior in VS 6.0 and in VB 6.0)

Anyone know how to get this to work? Seems to me to be a
significant flaw in the debugging capabilities.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello,

I tested it on my side and it works fine for me. If we want the debugger stop in the OnClick event handle of that button, we need
to set breakpoint at one line of this function.

Beside, please make sure that you have set the Enable ASP.NET debugging property to True in project's properties page.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
!From: "R Millman" <[email protected]>
!Sender: "R Millman" <[email protected]>
!Subject: Debugging / Single Step into event procedures
!Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:13:02 -0700
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!
!under ASP.NET, single stepping in debug mode appears not
!to stop within event procedures. i.e. 1) Create web page
!with submit button and event procedure for the click
!event in the code behind page, 2) Breakpoint in the
!Page_Load, 3) debug the web page and click the submit
!button, 4) "step into" under debug several times, 5) The
!debugger does not stop at any of the statements in the
!click event handler. A breakpoint is needed in each
!event routine that you wish to single step through,
!rather than the debugger simply stopping at each line of
!your code (this was the behavior in VS 6.0 and in VB 6.0)
!
!Anyone know how to get this to work? Seems to me to be a
!significant flaw in the debugging capabilities.
!
!

R Millman

If you explicitly set a breakpoint, the debugger stops.
However, the behaviour that I expect is to set a
breakpoint in the Page_Load event and then be able to
single step throughout ALL my code, including ANY event
procedures, (OnInit, click, etc.) To explicitly set
breakpoints throughout code in anticipation of which
event procedure might be invoked is tedious. In prior
versions of Visual Studio, this was not the case. Once a
breakpoint is hit, single stepping would take you through
each line of code, regardless of what routine
(constructor, page_load, OnInit, OnClick, etc.)
Sometimes, you do not fully understand the sequence of
events or which events are actually going to fire.
Single stepping should stop at ALL code.

There is a post back in September, 2002 which suggests
this was logged as a bug by a VS.Net tester.

Thanks for the follow up.