Debugging VB6 DLLs from ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Wilmot, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Mike Wilmot

    Mike Wilmot Guest

    Mike Wilmot, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Hello Mike,
    Please explain the problems you are having with this implementation of the
    debugger and I might be able to provide you with additional information
    addressing those problems.
    Thank you,
    John Soulis
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    John Soulis [MSFT], Dec 11, 2003

  3. Mike Wilmot

    Mike Wilmot Guest

    John-
    I think I got the (unfortunate) response to this issue (below).

    Thanks-
    MJW

    Chris-
    Thanks. We want to have the old behavior where you could step
    directly into the VB6 UI from ASP.NET and change code in the dll if we
    want without recompiling, etc... I have looked at Google and it looks
    like there are a lot of folks frustrated with this lack of default/old
    functionality.

    We are using VS.NET2003.

    It used to be you could hit the "Run" button in VB6, set a break
    point, and when you debugged the ASP process, it would hit your
    breakpoint in VB6 (and switch IDEs). The method described in the
    article I sent is very 'cludgey' and often hangs the machine where we
    get a hung ASP process and a new one gets spawned and the debugging
    and even website is unresponsive. We spent about a day on this b/c of
    the time savings we get from being able to debug DLL code .

    Thanks-
    Mike Wilmot
    Microsoft Consulting Denver Alum... 1998-2003

    Ah, I believe I understand the issue now. We have received a fair
    amount
    of feedback that that functionality was widely appreciated in VS6, and
    that
    it was missed when it wasn't available with VS.NET. (I believe it was
    feature of the underlying technology in VB6, which changed with the
    advent
    of VS.NET.) That's why we're working hard to allow the same behavior
    with
    the next version of VS.NET. In the meantime, yes, I believe the
    article
    you found accurately describes what can be done with the current
    version of
    VS.NET.

    -Chris Cook
    Visual Studio Debugger UI

    This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    Mike Wilmot, Dec 15, 2003