<deny users="?" /> <allow users="*" />

Kylin

<!-- security -->
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>

I know the <deny user="?" /> mean that deny the anonymous user ,
And I know the <allow user="*"> mean that allow all the user,
but they are together ,
what is the meaning ?

Yunus Emre ALPÖZEN [MCAD.NET]

web.config file is interpreted line by line. This means deny anonymous user
and accepten users which are authenticated. When a user request wants to be
authorized, ASP.NET looks if it is a guest, if yes denies, otherwise allows
user.

Try to change line order and see what happens like:
<!-- security -->
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

Ravichandran J.V.

"?" stands for anonymous users and "*" for all users. So,

<allow users="Jv"/>
<deny users="?"/>

will allow user "Jv" but deny all anonymous users. You can use to separate
multiple identiies.

<allow users="Jv, Kylin"/>
<deny users="?"/>

with regards,