Deploy Assembly to GAC, and additional file system location

Matt Gollob

I'm building an MSI installer for an SDK. I have a couple assemblies
that need to be installed to both the GAC and a seperate location on
the file system (so the VS.NET IDE can add them to the Project
References Dialog). Assuming I understand MSI correctly, a component
can only be installed to one location. So the solution would seem to
be to have the same file in two different components. However, this
is discouraged by Microsoft best practices. The DuplicateFiles table
does not seem to help either.

My question is this: How can I install an assembly to a location on
the file system (i.e. "C:\Program Files\Common Files\...") and in the
GAC, without breaking best practices (multiple components for the same
file) and without using GACUtil.exe?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Gollob