Deployment Question

Scott M.

Say I have an .asmx that has been in develoment in my local IIS virtual
directory and I've been accessing it with a development version of a client
(also in local IIS virtual directory). Everything works fine.

Now, I deploy my webservice (.asmx) to a production server (also running
IIS, but obviously in a different virtual directory).

Sure, I could just re-make my client's web reference to point to the new
location for the web service, but there must be some way to deal with this
situation without remaking web references. Is there something I can do in
web.config or in my client code (the service proxy's .URL property?) to
modify the existing web reference to point at the new location?

Thanks.

John Saunders [MVP]

Scott M. said:
Say I have an .asmx that has been in develoment in my local IIS virtual
directory and I've been accessing it with a development version of a
client (also in local IIS virtual directory). Everything works fine.

Now, I deploy my webservice (.asmx) to a production server (also running
IIS, but obviously in a different virtual directory).

Sure, I could just re-make my client's web reference to point to the new
location for the web service, but there must be some way to deal with this
situation without remaking web references. Is there something I can do in
web.config or in my client code (the service proxy's .URL property?) to
modify the existing web reference to point at the new location?

The right way to do it is to set the Url property.

Steven Cheng

Hi Scott,

Yes, as long as the webservice(or its WSDL) hasn't been changed, the client
proxy should remain the same. Therefore, when you deploy webservice to
another location, just modify the client proxy's Url property. Also, .NET
project by default store proxy's url property in App.config file, you can
simply change this value in app.config file without modify code.

Best regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: (e-mail address removed).

From: "Scott M." <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Deployment Question
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:53:17 -0400