Determine Device Capabilitys?

Guy

I'm really struggling to find the fundermentals about how
a client device/User Agent informs a webserver using MMIT
about its capabilitys. I understand that this must be
sent by the client in the http request, however what is
this/them?
Is this simply the User Agent in the http request?
If this is true then this implies that MMIT bases all its
device capability assumptions on a predifined lookup,
provided by microsoft on specific manufacture's
devices/models. What then happens if an unknown device
requests a webpage from your webserver?
Java uses well documented standards like UAProf and CC/PP
that work at a single capabilitie level. there for
allowing multiply manufactures and developers to provide
information at the individual device capabilities level
not the device as a whole.
Does MMIT conform to any organisations proposals for
providing device independance? www.w3.org -
www.openmobilealliance.org/