Development Cycle Problem: Old Code

Joel Finkel

Folks,

I am trying to create an extension to a RequiredFieldValidator control. Throughout the development cycle, I use a test form and, on each iteration, I remove the last version of my custom control from the test form, remove it from the ToolBox, ensure that all references have been removed from the HTML and code-behind, and then add the new version (dll) to the ToolBox.

I then drag it from the ToolBox onto the test form but, lo and behold, I find that it is the original version! I know from examining a new Property names, which I have changed. However, when I add the new version to the ToolBox, I note that the version number is, indeed, the correct version number of the lastest build. I do not add it to the Global Assembly Cache.

Furthermore, the value of the new Property, which I have added for my custom control, is automatically filled in within the Propery Editor with the value from my last test. If I close down Visual .NET and restart, and then reload the custom control, I sometimes get an even older version of teh custom control!

I wonder if someone might be able to explain to me what is going on. I am confused enough trying to figure out how to extend the base control <grin>.

Thanks in advance.

Joel Finkel
(e-mail address removed)

Nicole Calinoiu

Joel,

If you're building to a new version, you'll also need to remove the
reference to your control project/dll from your test project. However, a
better approach is to rebuild (rather than build from scratch) the control
dll. This will allow you to avoid the pain of the toolbox and reference
"fussing" on most build refreshes.

HTH,
Nicole

[...]

Nicole,

Thank you very much. Removing the reference from the Project was the key, and, indeed, save me lots of time. I appreciate the help.

Joel Finkel
(e-mail address removed)