Development vs. Production environment

UJ

How do people handle in the code when you have a production and development
system? I'm using VS.Net with C# and VB.Net. Do I make references to each
and then do something in the code or is there are any way do I don't have to
always remember to change the reference right before making a new version?

Can I put the actual address in the .config file and use it from there?

TIA - Jeff.

Piyush Thakuria

There are 2 ways of doing it:
1. Tightly Bind your application with a web reference and create two MSI's -
one for Production environment and the other for Development environment. So
you Production MSI is pointing to your production web service and the
Development MSI is pointing to the development web service.
2. Loosly bind the application with your web service. Dynamically assign the
URL to the web service using the following code:

DummyService.Url = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings[valueToRead];

Your valueToRead would be the URL of the production and development boxes.
Just comment and uncomment the URL, you want to use.

Please revert back if the above mentioned solutions worked for you.

UJ

Thanks. I'll probably go with #2.

Jeff.

--