Diagnosing OutOfMemory Errors

josh.s17

Hi,

I'm getting OutOfMemory errors randomly on a web application running
on Websphere 5.1.X.X. Increasing the heap size doesn't seem to make
any difference. From the garbage collection logs it appears as if the
heap size doesn't seem to running out so I'm wondering if there is
something else to adjust to stop out of memory errors. Any advice
would be appreciated.

thanks
Josh

amin.variava

Hi,

I'm getting OutOfMemory errors randomly on a web application running
on Websphere 5.1.X.X. Increasing the heap size doesn't seem to make
any difference. From the garbage collection logs it appears as if the
heap size doesn't seem to running out so I'm wondering if there is
something else to adjust to stop out of memory errors. Any advice
would be appreciated.

thanks
Josh

Look at the permanent memory settings. By default its like 64mb which
is not enough for most application. You can increase the permanent
memory size and make sure that there is garbage colletion being done
on it....look into xnoclassgc param if you have that set. Hope this
helps.
Amin

Jacky

I think you should use profile tool to stakeout the runtime
environment and find out the cause .

Roedy Green