difference between asp and asp.net

ScooterMX

Short version, what are the differences?

Can I write regular asp and have it work on .net ?

Kevin Spencer

Think of ASP as a Cessna single-engine airplane. Now, think of ASP.Net as a
Boeing 747. They both fly. They both have wings. They both have a throttle.
Other than that, they have very little in common. And it takes a lot more
training to fly a 747.

ASP and ASP.Net both handle HTTP Requests, and can send HTTP Responses. How
they do it is entirely different, however. ASP is procedural and scripted.
ASP.Net is object-oriented and compiled. ASP can do a little. ASP.Net can do
whatever you can imagine.
Can I write regular asp and have it work on .net ?

If you're both stupid and lucky, yes. ;-) Should you? NO.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

DalePres

You can, in the IIS administration tools, configure your .Net web server to
process ASP pages. When you installed the .Net Framework ASP handling
normally is disabled. As Kevin said, you probably shouldn't do this unless
there are overriding reasons to do so. If there were no instances where it
was desirable, Microsoft probably wouldn't have built in the capability so
don't take the statement as absolute. You can, but try everything else
first.

Often times, you may find that your ASP pages will work with little
modification as well. Many of the same constructs work between both ASP and
ASP.Net. You can change the extension on an ASP page to ASPX and try it.
Usually there will be some debugging but it should be relatively intuitive.

One thing that breaks the whole thing is if you have ASP forms that post to
different pages rather than back to itself. But then, Microsoft has
recommended against that since ASP 2.0.

A much less intuitive item that will prevent your ASP pages from easily
migrating to ASP.Net is if the ASP pages use multiple forms. ASP.Net is a
jealous master and does not like to share forms.

Good luck,

DalePres
MCAD, MCDBA, MCSE

bruce barker

only if you code the pages in javascript. in this case its easy to make
pages work in both enviroments. there are just a few rules to follow.

1) declare public vars in <% %>
2) declare public functions in <script runat=server>
3) only function defs (no inlinecode) allowed in <script runat=server>

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Short version, what are the differences?
|
| Can I write regular asp and have it work on .net ?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If you're starting a new project, you should certainly choose ASP.NET over
ASP.
It is far superior in virtually every way.