different behavior - localserver vs prod server

CC

I noticed several differences between the way my code behaves on my
local machine, and how it behaves on the server. I've found work
arounds for all but a few issues. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

- SmartNavigation doesn't seem to be working right. I have multiple
dropdowns on a page. With the smartNavigation property set to true,
pressing the 'Back' button should go back to the 'previous' screen
(which was a menu) no matter how many drop down items were selected.
This works properly on my local machine, but on the production server,
it does not: if I make a selection from all three drop downs, for
example, I have to press the Back button three times to get back to
the menu. Since the smartnav works fine for another developer here
(same server, different application), I'm thinking it must be
something with my code and not the server.

- RangeValidator is not working. Works fine to prevent erroneous
entries (checking a date range) on my own machine, but does not seem
to even be invoked on the production server... so bad data is ending
up in the db. I'm wondering if this is associated with the smart
navigation problem?

I want to keep the smartnavigation property set to true
All components are set to autopostback.
I'm working in C# with a little jscript... though a little new to
both...

Thanks!!
Carol

bruce barker

Smart Navigation and Client Range checking are implemented by client script,
not server code.

check that you can access the client scripts. view source and look for
<script src="????/smartnav.js"> and <script src="????/webuivalidation.js">.
type the src urls into the browser, and see if they are correct. if not, the
server is setup wrong. if you don't find the <script> entires, then browser
detect is not working.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

CC

Thanks Bruce. I do see those in the source:

<script language="javascript"
src="/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js"></script>

<script language="JScript"
src="/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/SmartNav.js"></script>

But I don't understand what you mean when you say to type the src urls
into the browser to see if they are correct. Are you saying that I
should type something like this in the browser:

http://myprojectname/aspnet_client/system_web/1_1_4322/WebUIValidation.js??

Thanks,
Carol