Disable Internet Explorer Toolbar

Guest

I have a C# Web Forms application and would like to disable the Internet
Explorer toolbar and menu. How can I do this?

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
I have a C# Web Forms application and would like to disable the Internet
Explorer toolbar and menu. How can I do this?

By disable, I guess you mean hide. You cannot do that for the current
window. The only way is to open a pop-up using client-side JavaScript,
and using the feature string to specify which bar should be displayed
and which should be hidden.

See
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:window.open

HTH,
Laurent

Alan Silver

Laurent Bugnion said:
Hi,

By disable, I guess you mean hide. You cannot do that for the current
window. The only way is to open a pop-up using client-side JavaScript,
and using the feature string to specify which bar should be displayed
and which should be hidden.

And even then, the user can simply type Ctrl-n to open the page in a new
window, complete with toolbars, menu bars, etc.

The main question is why you would want to remove the toolbar and menu.
It sounds like a very bad idea to me. These two represent the basis of
the user's browsing experience. Why do you want to cripple them?

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Alan said:
And even then, the user can simply type Ctrl-n to open the page in a new
window, complete with toolbars, menu bars, etc.

The main question is why you would want to remove the toolbar and menu.
It sounds like a very bad idea to me. These two represent the basis of
the user's browsing experience. Why do you want to cripple them?

It can be legitimate in some occasions IMHO. If you must display a very
small window, for example, the bars look clumsy. In such cases, however,
one might prefer to use a DIV or something similar instead of a pop-up.

In the case of a web application (as opposed to a website), there might
be cases where the navigation is not the main purpose of the window,
thus hiding the bars might make sense.

Devil's advocate, I know ;-)

Greetings,
Laurent