disappiring UDP packets

Xanti

Hello, I have a simple UDP application. Server awaiting for datagrams
and client which can send a few different messages. All working OK as
stand-alone applications. Problem is that I want to use my client in
another application, but when I try i have SocketTimesException. I
need to use my UDP Client in a WebService application to send some
information to server. Do you know anything about not using UDP client-
server applications in web ervices?

Daniel Pitts

Hello, I have a simple UDP application. Server awaiting for datagrams
and client which can send a few different messages. All working OK as
stand-alone applications. Problem is that I want to use my client in
another application, but when I try i have SocketTimesException. I
need to use my UDP Client in a WebService application to send some
information to server. Do you know anything about not using UDP client-
server applications in web ervices?

I gathered that you have two components, and they communicate with
UDP. This works well when both components are on the same machine,
however it fails other the network, with a "SocketTimeoutException".
Although, you don't tell us which component (server or client).

Your question then is, how do we communicate between two components
without UDP.

Often, the best way to send data to a "web service" is, of course,
with a HTTP request. Depending on the complexity of the request, you
can use the built-in java.net.URL class for the simpler ones, or you
may consider using apache's HttpClient class for more complicated
queries.

Hope this helps.