display xray images

displayname

What is needed to have an ASP program display xray images (DICOM format)?
Thank you.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?ZGlzcGxheW5hbWU=?=
What is needed to have an ASP program display xray images (DICOM
format)? Thank you.

It has nothing to do with ASP, it has to do with the browser. AFAIK,
browsers can do jpg, gif, and png, so you will have to convert them to
something the browser can understand before that.

displayname

I don't think I can convert the images to something the browser can
understand before that. I am thinking may be having a hyper link within my
web page and when the link is cliked it somehow brings up the image using
another software that can display the image. But I'm not sure how to launch
that software and also how to tell that software which image to display.

Bob Barrows

Whatever the software is, it will have to be installed onto the client's
machine. You will need to read the documentation for whatever software you
find for this purpose to figure out how to tell it what image file to
display. Of course, the image files will likely need to be downloaded to the
the user's machine.

I assume you've tried google to find this software ... ?

displayname

There are too many images and I assume each image file is big, therefore it's
better not to have to download the images to each user's machine. Besides,
there are many users as well. I wonder if any one has programmed to display
xray images like what I want to do.

Bob Barrows

Well, then I guess you are going to have to give up this task before you
begin. You see, in order for the user to see an image, it _has_ to be
downloaded to the user's machine software runs to render it to the
screen. There is no image that you look at using your browser that has
not been downloaded to your machine in order for you to view it. The
software that renders an image has to exist on the machine being used to
view it, and consequently, the image file that gets rendered has to be
present on the machine as well.

Now if you could find some software that runs on the server that
converts the file to a more common image file type before sending it to
the client, you would no longer have the requirement of installing
software on the client machine. Maybe this will help:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DICOM+viewer

Bob Barrows

Actually, add "web based" to the search criterion to get more relevant
results.

rob^_^

Hi,

The XRay clinics here in Australia, ALL use a mainframe based application
for security/privacy reasons. The image quality required for diagnostics is
beyond acceptable download times for an internet application.
How long does it take to download an 80mb file at 56kb/sec?
Regards.

Evertjan.

rob^_^ wrote on 12 dec 2009 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
The XRay clinics here in Australia, ALL use a mainframe based
application for security/privacy reasons.

This does not need a mainframe application, a local microprocessor
application would have the same security level.

Do you know what "mainframe" means?
The image quality required
for diagnostics is beyond acceptable download times for an internet
application. How long does it take to download an 80mb file at

80 milibit?
Perhaps you mean 80 Mb [Megabit] = 10 MB [MegaByte]
56kb/sec?

Are you sure you posted this 12 dec 2009?

Private download speed overhere is 40Mb/sec,
that is 5 MB/sec.

Such X-ray would load in 2 seconds.

In some hospitals, getting an X-ray on screen often takes minutes, if not
longer. The culprit is not the download bandwith, but the database bandwith
or the bad programming.

Bob Barrows

Sorry, but I have no other answer to give you.