displaying data in columns

Jennifer Smith

I want to be able to display my recordset as follows:

a e
b f
c g
d h

Instead of :
a b
c d
e f
g h

Any links to some examples?

Mark Schupp

Do you need each piece of data in its own cell?

If not

list the first column here using <br> or <p> for line breaks
list the second column here using <br> or <p> for line breaks

If you do need separate cells put the data into an array (maybe with
GetRows()) and grab the element you need as you generate the table cells.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jennifer said:
I want to be able to display my recordset as follows:

a e
b f
c g
d h

Instead of :
a b
c d
e f
g h

Any links to some examples?

Does this recordset contain two fields? Or does each letter in your example
represent a row in the recordset?

Bob Barrows

Jennifer Smith

Sorry each letter represents a field.

I need to order my data alphabetically in columns.

For example - I return a recordset of a, b, c, d

I would want to display like this:
col 1 col2
a c
c d

Thanks :)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I'm sorry, I'm still not clear about what your recordset contains. Is it 4
rows, each row containing a letter?

field1

Or is it 2 rows, each row containing two fields?

field1 field2
a b
c d

Perhaps if you showed us the SQL statement used to generate the recordset,
all would become clear.

Bob Barrows

Jennifer Smith

Sorry I wasn't more clear. It is 4 rows each containing a letter. So 4
records returned.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

I would do something like what Mark said (this is untested and may need to
be tweaked):

'open the recordset, then
arData = rs.GetRows
rs.close:set rs=nothing
cn.close:set cn = nothing

if isarray(arData) then
'assuming <table> tags are already in place
for i = 0 to ubound(arData,2)
if i mod 2 = 1 then '(if it's an even numbered row)
else
end if
next
if ubound(arData,2) mod 2 = 0 then
end if
else
'handle situation where no data was returned
end if