distutils.core not in Debian python2.2 package

Kent Tenney

Howdy,

I did;
# apt-get install python2.2

# python
Python 2.2.1
then checked docutils out of CVS
and did;

docutils# python ./setup.py install

ImportError: No module named distutils.core

How do I install distutils?

Thanks,
Kent

Kent Tenney

Thanks

It surprises me to find distutils in a package described as:

"Header files and a static library for Python (v2.2)"

Kent

Alessio Pace

I wonder why the corresponding package python2.3-dev does not exist..
No distutils for python2.3 developers?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Kent said:
David said:
In general, if you need to compile, or develop, you need the
corresponding *-dev packages.

I didn't need to compile or develop, just install.

I expected

$ python ./setup.py install

to work out of the box. [...]

From the view of the packagers, you only need disutils for development
work. Manually installing modules counts as "development" as well. At
least to them.

-- Gerhard

David M. Cooke

At some point said:
I wonder why the corresponding package python2.3-dev does not exist..
No distutils for python2.3 developers?

?? There is for me
$ apt-cache search python2.3-dev
python2.3-dev - Header files and a static library for Python (v2.3)
$