distutils setup ignoring scripts

Jack Orenstein

I'm using Python 2.2 on RH9. I have a set of Python modules organized
into a root package and one other package named foobar. setup.py looks
like this:

from distutils.core import setup

setup(
name = 'foobar',
version = '0.3',
description = 'Foo Bar',
author = 'Jack Orenstein',
author_email = '(e-mail address removed)',
packages = ['', 'xyz'],
scripts = ['bin/foobar']
)

The resulting package has everything in the specified directories, but
does not include the script. I've tried making the path bin/foobar
absolute, but that doesn't help. I've googled for known bugs of this
sort but have come up emtpy. (The first line of bin/foobar is
#!/usr/bin/python.)

I've also tried using DISTUTIL_DEBUG, which has been uninformative,
(e.g. no mention of bin/foobar at all).

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Jack Orenstein