DNS error with every page in my app

Guest

Just deployed a new application, and am receiving an "Cannot find server or
DNS Error" error for every aspx page. All other ASP.NET apps are working
fine, as are both asp and html, as does a small little one-page test .NET app
I wrote to test things out. It's just this one particular app that's not
working.

Everything's running under framwork v 1.1, with IIS 6 on a 2003 server. Oh,
and (of course) everything goes live on Thurdsay! :)

Any clues are appreciated.

Steve Lutz

Hi,
My first suggestion is to turn off "display friendly http errors" in
Internet explorer. This may give you some more detail about the errors you
are getting. You may be getting HTTP500's or other errors.

I would also access the site from the local machine the site is running on
and or turn on debugging output for remote users (in web.config). This will
give you errors from ASP.NET. If the site works when accessed by the server
itself, then you probably just need to add DNS records for your server.

Have you attempted access the site using ip address? http://a.b.c.d instead
of by name?

Guest

Thanks for the suggestions Steve. However: been there, done that. Turning off
friendly messages doesn't give me anything more. Outputting tracing doesn't
work because the page never seems to get to the isapi filter. DNS resolution
is working because this is an app running in a virtual directory under a
particular site, and the other apps running under that site all work fine.
And besides that, browsing by IP address (both remotely and locally) doesn't
give me any better results.

Of course, the site runs fine on my development machine!

<itinerantCoder />

Guest

OK, discovered my own solution here. When we created this project, we named
it with the original project name, but added " v2" at the end, mainly because
it was version 2. So the name was something like "Project v2". Note the space
in the project name. It is very, very bad.

So, by default, the assembly name and DLL it generated included that space
as well. Well, ASP.NET does not appreciate spaces (and perhaps other special
characters) in the DLLs it loads. Once we changed the assembly name to remove
the space, and recompiled, and redeployed, everything ran fine.

Moral of the story: do not use spaces in your assembly names. Spaces are
very, very bad.

<itinerantCoder />