DotNetNuke - where to start ? (newbie question)

romy

Hi

in the process of self learning ASP.NET....

I heard that DotNetNuke is great tool for creating fast, cost effective
portals.

I've just installed it ,and I don't know where to start.....

DotNetNuke Users , some advices / documentation links for the easiest way to
learn using this tool will be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Romy

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~

Hi Romy,
It is indeed a great piece of software with a lot of functionality,
perhaps a bit overwhelming. First you have to consider whether it is the
right thing for you (maybe it is an overkill). Personally I tried it and had
a few problems, but mainly I found that deploying it remotely was a bit of a
hassle. Not to mention handling software & database upgrades.

You can learn more about it by playing with it (but then you will learn more
about using an app and perhaps by looking at some code). There is a Forum in
www.gotdotnet.com if I remember correctly.

If on the other hand you want to teach yourself ASP.NET/.NET I would suggest
you pick up a language you feel comfortable with (I prefer C#, VB is just
too messy and aesthetically unappealing to me but there is J# too) and then
ask yourself "what sort of tool/thing/simple application I NEED". And then
go about it stepwise to implement this thing you need. Personally I think
this is one of the best ways of self-learning a programming language (done
it for Basic, assembler, pascal, C, C++, C#, Java) and in the end not only
do you learn by doing but also you hopefully end up with something you
ACTUALLY have an use for.

Regards & Have fun programming!
Emil

Juan T. Llibre

If I were interested in learning how DotNetNuke works,
I'd hang out in the DotNetNuke Forums :

http://forums.asp.net/90/ShowForum.aspx

Just reading through the tens of thousands of posts there
will give you a good idea about how to go about
implementing your portal with it.

The developers who hang out in those Forums
are very friendly, and love DotNetNuke.

The "Getting Started" forum sounds like a good place to start.

;-)