doubt in modelsim

Viswan

hi,

I was working on a state machine in VHDL. I designed the code in
Xilinx 6.3i. I simulated it using Modelsim STARTER version. I
checked the 'Simulate Behavioral Model' option in the tool and
obtained correct result. Then I went for 'Simulate Post-Place & Route
VHDL model'. Surprisingly it showed many unknown values in
outputs(red signals saying X). But when I clicked the Run-all option
again in the waveform window,the results showed correct values (but it
has some spikes,when there is a transition between one state and other
state). They didn't show any unknown values. Is this because I am
using a STARTER version? And also would there be any problem with this
case(unknowns or spikes) if I want to implement this circuit on any
FPGA?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,