Dropdown list cannot have multiple items selected!

Jeff Tolman

I'm getting a Server Error page with a "Dropdown list cannot have multiple
items selected" error. First off, my page doesn't even HAVE a dropdownlist
on it. Secondly, there is no Source file listed on the error page, so I'm
not even sure where to look for the problem. The code appears to run just
fine without exceptions all the way through the PreRender Event routine, but
somehow this error appears. Any suggestions?

Here is the text from the error page:

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: A DropDownList cannot have
multiple items selected.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): A DropDownList cannot have multiple items
selected.]
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter
writer)
System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter
writer)
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

All answers are welcome!

Thanks!

Jeff Tolman
E&M Electric
(e-mail address removed)

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Jeff,

What that error is usually really telling us is that you cannot have one
ListItem object existing in multiple lists. It is, however, perplexing
that you say you have no dropdowns on any pages.

When do you see this error? Can you attach your .aspx and code-behind?

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
ASP.NET
Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)