Dynamically change bgColor of table cell?

kj

Is there a way to dynamically (e.g. upon onClick) change the bgColor
attribute of a table cell? I tried cell.setAttribute("bgColor",
someColor), where someColor was a string of the form "#RRGGBB",
but nothing happened.

Also, how can I set the mouse cursor to be an arrow when it hovers
over these table cells? (It's an insertion bar now.)

Thanks!

kj

Ad

Michael Winter

Is there a way to dynamically (e.g. upon onClick) change the bgColor
attribute of a table cell? I tried cell.setAttribute("bgColor",
someColor), where someColor was a string of the form "#RRGGBB",
but nothing happened.

Try

cell.style.backgroundColor = '#rrggbb';
Also, how can I set the mouse cursor to be an arrow when it hovers
over these table cells? (It's an insertion bar now.)

You can use CSS to do this.

td {
cursor: default;
}

This will make the cursor display as the default shape (an arrow, usually)
over all table cells, assuming the cursor property is supported. If you
want to be more selective, change the selector to include a class.

Mike

McKirahan

kj said:
Is there a way to dynamically (e.g. upon onClick) change the bgColor
attribute of a table cell? I tried cell.setAttribute("bgColor",
someColor), where someColor was a string of the form "#RRGGBB",
but nothing happened.

Also, how can I set the mouse cursor to be an arrow when it hovers
over these table cells? (It's an insertion bar now.)

Thanks!

kj

Will this help?

<head>
<title>cellfunc.htm</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function doit(that,what) {
if (what != "") {
that.style.cursor = what;
} else {
that.style.background = "yellow";
</script>
</head>
onmouseover="doit(this,'hand')"
onmouseout="doit(this,'auto')"
onclick="doit(this,'')">

McKirahan

kj said:
Is there a way to dynamically (e.g. upon onClick) change the bgColor
attribute of a table cell? I tried cell.setAttribute("bgColor",
someColor), where someColor was a string of the form "#RRGGBB",
but nothing happened.

Also, how can I set the mouse cursor to be an arrow when it hovers
over these table cells? (It's an insertion bar now.)

Thanks!

kj

Cool!

One problem: I get #666 when I should get "black".

P.S. I modified one line to display the color on the status bar:

onmouseover="window.status=window.event.srcElement.strokeColor"
onclick="alert(window.event.srcElement.strokeColor)"></div>

This lets the user see the color without having to click.

Where did you learn about this vml stuff?

kj

Thanks. That worked great.

One tiny remaining problem is that even though the cursor is no
longer an text insertion cursor, it can select text. If the mouse
moves slightly when one clicks on a cell, some text gets selected.
Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

kj

Ad

Ad