easily setup jsp/web server development environment?

Alex Hunsley

I'm developing a jsp web application under windows (will eventually be deployed
on linux). I was wondering if there are any convenient apache + jsp type
bundles that are easy to set up? (In the vein of phptriad, which has sql, php
and apache all in one and is easy to set up.)

If there's not, I'll just get apache and a jsp container seperately....

thanks
alex

William Brogden

I'm developing a jsp web application under windows (will eventually be
deployed on linux). I was wondering if there are any convenient apache
+ jsp type bundles that are easy to set up? (In the vein of phptriad,
which has sql, php and apache all in one and is easy to set up.)

If there's not, I'll just get apache and a jsp container seperately....

Why bother with apache? Tomcat does quite a good job of serving plain
resources.

Bill

Daniel Rohe

Look at www.apachefriends.org, especially at their product Xampp

They've made a bundle of apache + mysql + php and several plugins (perl,
python, cocoon, and of course tomcat for JSP. If you wanna use tomcat, you
must also install the Java SDK from Sun's homepage (java.sun.com).
I use the windows version of Xampp with nearly all plugins on my developer
pc and found the installation very easy.

Greetings
Daniel

Frank

William said:
Why bother with apache? Tomcat does quite a good job of serving plain
resources.

And save yourself a lot of grief by picking PostgreSQL instead of my MySQL.

-Frank

Alex Hunsley

Frank said:
And save yourself a lot of grief by picking PostgreSQL instead of my MySQL.

Actually, this application won't use either, but I'm interested to know
why you think PostgreSQL is so much better than MySQL?

Alex Hunsley

William said:
Why bother with apache? Tomcat does quite a good job of serving plain
resources.

Yup, I remember this very shortly after I posted that article! Am just
going to use tomcat.
thanks!
alex

Alex Hunsley

Daniel said:
Look at www.apachefriends.org, especially at their product Xampp

They've made a bundle of apache + mysql + php and several plugins (perl,
python, cocoon, and of course tomcat for JSP. If you wanna use tomcat, you
must also install the Java SDK from Sun's homepage (java.sun.com).
I use the windows version of Xampp with nearly all plugins on my developer
pc and found the installation very easy.

Ahhh.... funny thing here. I've been using Xampp myself, but for
php/mysql dev, didn't look closely before now to see if they do
tomcat/JSP! Thanks for that pointer, very helpful as I was too dumb to
check that!

alex

Alex Hunsley

Daniel said:
Look at www.apachefriends.org, especially at their product Xampp

They've made a bundle of apache + mysql + php and several plugins (perl,
python, cocoon, and of course tomcat for JSP. If you wanna use tomcat, you
must also install the Java SDK from Sun's homepage (java.sun.com).
I use the windows version of Xampp with nearly all plugins on my developer
pc and found the installation very easy.

Greetings
Daniel

Btw, where do I find the tomcat/JSP plugin? Can't see anything at the
xampp page ...

thanks
alex