Encoding for Swing Text Area

Richard F.L.R.Snashall

On http://mindprod.com, there is a description of setting up
a reader or writer to encode/decode files for different
character encodings.

Is there a way to do this for a swing text area?

More specificly, I want to set up an input text area that can be
used for paste by the user, but properly interpreted
for what is pasted into the text area.

I think this may have something to do with setting up a
keymap, but I'm not sure.

Secondly, can this be reversed, i.e.: set up an output area
that can be cut by the user, but properly interpreted
for what is cut from the text area.