Equivalent of applets or ActiveX controls in .NET?

Guest

Hi,

This may sound a trivial question but I didn't find (yet) the equivalent of
..NET to ActiveX controls (good old COM way :) ) or Java applets which I am
not familiar with but I understand how they work.

Just to explain more clearly. I am looking for:
• An option to run a rich UI application on the client browser not based on
HTML tags or formatting but pure .NET application that uses GDI+ and anything
else required for an application (with or without security limitations)
• The application will be embedded inside a web page and the user will use
it/see it when using the web browser.

(Web Form controls and\or User controls are not the answer since they only
produce HTML tags)

Did I miss it big time in the documentation?

Guest

Thanks!

This is more a question to Microsoft:
Is there any future plan to support this scenario?

Eric

Guest

Yes, but microsoft is powerful enough to extend the HTML specification for
supporting this kind of objects.

it is only an <OBJECT dotnetassembly=..> or something like that :)

Jeff @ Dart

Hello Eric,

You may want to check out our new product, LiveControls for ASP.NET.
This is a suite of 20+ server controls which communicate with the
webserver without refreshing the page. They do render HTML however, so
it isn't exactly what you describe, but the end result is the same
(Rich Windows-like UI in a browser). Also, there are no security
limitations.

Check out a live demo at http://www.dart.com/livetutorial/display.aspx
or the product description at
http://www.dart.com/powerweb/livecontrols.asp

Guest

My friends have you not heard for SmartClients ?

Requires client to have .net Framwork installed on there side, pretty much
the same as have the java runtime on client.

It is much much easier then ActiveX way of things.
Look into it and try it. Very cool.

Deasun

Kevin Spencer

Yes, but microsoft is powerful enough to extend the HTML specification for
supporting this kind of objects.

You're kidding. I hate to tell you this, but Microsoft doesn't make Internet
standards. Microsoft didn't create the Internet, doesn't own the Internet,
and has no "power" over the Internet. In fact, nobody does.

As a matter of fact, you can host .Net Windows forms on Internet Explorer
only. Therefore, there is no need to "extend the HTML specification." See:

HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Kevin Spencer

Yeah, that was my reaction too.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Guest

..Net didn't provide a way to create activeX control. But you can put ActiveX
control in .aspx page as you put it in html page.