Error: File could not be loaded into Web Forms Designer

Guest

I'm getting the following error when trying to open a web form in design mode in VS

"The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please correct the following error and then try loading it again: Illegal characters in path. Make sure all of the classes used in the page are built or referenced in the project.

When I click OK, it takes me to the html for the page and highlights the @Page directive line. I'm NOT using the SRC attribute, and both the CodeBehind and Inherits attributes look correct. I was working in VS yesterday with no problems, but this morning, I started getting this error, both with new projects and existing ones. I don't remember making any changes..

Can someone help? Thanks
Tim

Guest

I just did a "Repair" of VS.NET 2003 and saw no change...I can not open an existing web form or create a new one without seeing the error. I can see the code-behind but can't view the designer for any web form. Any ideas??? Thanks

----- Tim wrote: ----

I'm getting the following error when trying to open a web form in design mode in VS

"The file could not be loaded into the Web Forms designer. Please correct the following error and then try loading it again: Illegal characters in path. Make sure all of the classes used in the page are built or referenced in the project.

When I click OK, it takes me to the html for the page and highlights the @Page directive line. I'm NOT using the SRC attribute, and both the CodeBehind and Inherits attributes look correct. I was working in VS yesterday with no problems, but this morning, I started getting this error, both with new projects and existing ones. I don't remember making any changes..

Can someone help? Thanks
Tim

Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Here is what worked for me

I started getting this problem after I added my project to source safe.
My mistake was a added all subdirectories to VSS which included BIN and OBJ. THis made them read only.

If you are getting a flavor of the message that complains about other assemblies, try deleteing the BIN and OBJ folders. 2005 has a CLEAN SOLUTION command that does this.

Anyway, that worked for me, and it only took a day and a half to figure it out. LOL>

greg