Error opening web project on pc with multiple sites

Brad

I'm running 2003 server std, have multiple web sites and use host headers
to differentiate the web sites (I'm on a domain using DHCP so can't use
static IP's). I'm using VS2003 to create and maintain my web projects. With
that said, on some projects I open an existing or create a web project,
work with for awhile, close it....and when I attempt to reopen it I get the
following message:

Unable to open Web project 'myapp'. The file path
'C:\Inetput\appserver\myapp' does not correspond
to the URL 'http://localhost:/myapp'. The two need to mapto
the same server location.
HTTP Error 404: Not Found

The project "myapp" in this case is on the web site appserver, which is
under c:\inetpub\appserver. I don't use Localhost, which is in the wwwroot
folder, for any of my web projects. VS or IIS seems to be confused as to
which web site the project is on. The project's webinfo file points to the
correct location. What else could I check for, tweak, fix???

Brad

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

From your description, you have multi-websites on a certain server and when
you try opening a cetain web app
under a certai site , you countered the following error
============================
Unable to open Web project 'myapp'. The file path
'C:\Inetput\appserver\myapp' does not correspond
to the URL 'http://localhost:/myapp'. The two need to mapto
the same server location.
HTTP Error 404: Not Found
=================================
which indicate that the vs.net has search for the wrong url path to open
the certain web project(your project is not under the "Localhost" site) ,
yes?

Based on my experience, I think this is problem may due to the webinfo file
of the web project. Generally , the VS.NET IDE will use the
.csproj.webinfo file to look for the url path of the web project when we
click the project file to open a site. So please go to the web
application's folder "C:\Inetput\appserver\myapp" and find the
".csproj.webinfo" file(it's a hidden file) . And open it to see whether the
path is the specified to the correct value. If not ,change it the the
corresponding url of the web application.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Brad

Steven,
I wrote in my initial post that the project's webinfo file points to the
correct location.

Brad

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

HI Brad,

I'm sorry for missing your description on the webinfo file. Since the
webinfo file has beed specified the correct path. I'd like to confirm the
following things:

1. When you create the webproject, what path have you specified? You can
tell me the host header of the site and the correct url it should use.

2. When you close the project and try reopening it, how do you open it? Use
the VS.NET's open project on web and specify url? or directory go to the
physical folder and click the .csproj file or the .sln solution file? If
use solution file , the solution file also contain the url info, you may
also have a check.

3. Also, if we visit the web application via the host header address in IE,
is it working well? If so, I think problem is likely caused by IDE.

If you have any other new findings or any question, please feel free to
post here. thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Brad

Steven,

Issue had to go on hold for a bit for for other reasons. Our network staff
reconfigured my pc so I now have unique ip addresses for each web site
instead of the host headers I was using. That seems to have made the issue
disappear.

Brad