Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Catastrophic failure

Edward Yang

I think I once had this problem long before when ASP.NET v1 was released.
But I had this problem again after I installed a fresh/clean new Windows
2000 Pro system. No special actions take during installation. I applied SP4
and patched all hotfixes via Windows Update Web site. Then I installed
VS.NET 2002. But I could not debug my Web applications!

I just wonder if it is SOOOOOOOOOO hard to start a debugger on a Web
application? I have seen already there are dozens of 'tip's on various
errors just trying to START debugging.

Please help me. I'm without any means...

Edward Yang

Another oops!

That KB just does not help. The problem still catches me. :-(((

Edward Yang

It is very interesting that if I add ASPNET to local Administartors group,
then I can start debugging. I'm not sure what 'security settings' I need to
assign to ASPNET account.

RobertH

Make sure your runing a virtual directory.. Open IIS and locate the folder
that your web app is using
then right click that folder select properties and hit application settings
/ create tab

your app should now work