exhaustive subsets

Brett Calcott

I've found some python solutions to find the set of subsets for a given set,
but how do you find the set of the set of subsets whose union is the given
set and whose intersections is the empty set.

ie. Given a cake divided into 6 unique pieces (0-5), how many different ways
can I distribute the cake so that there are no pieces left. eg.

((0), (1,2,3,4))
or ((0),(1),(2,3,4))
or ((0,1),(2,3),(4))
or ((0,4),(1),(2,3))

Is there a name for this problem?

Cheers,
Brett

David Eppstein

"Brett Calcott said:
I've found some python solutions to find the set of subsets for a given set,
but how do you find the set of the set of subsets whose union is the given
set and whose intersections is the empty set.

ie. Given a cake divided into 6 unique pieces (0-5), how many different ways
can I distribute the cake so that there are no pieces left. eg.

((0), (1,2,3,4))
or ((0),(1),(2,3,4))
or ((0,1),(2,3),(4))
or ((0,4),(1),(2,3))

Is there a name for this problem?

Partitions? Didn't we just have a discussion about them here a week or
two ago?
<http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=mailman.136.1083282936.25742.pyt
(e-mail address removed)>

Elaine Jackson

google for Sterling numbers

| I've found some python solutions to find the set of subsets for a given set,
| but how do you find the set of the set of subsets whose union is the given
| set and whose intersections is the empty set.
|
| ie. Given a cake divided into 6 unique pieces (0-5), how many different ways
| can I distribute the cake so that there are no pieces left. eg.
|
| ((0), (1,2,3,4))
| or ((0),(1),(2,3,4))
| or ((0,1),(2,3),(4))
| or ((0,4),(1),(2,3))
|
| Is there a name for this problem?
|
| Cheers,
| Brett
|
| --
| Brett Calcott
| Philosophy Program, RSSS, ANU
| Canberra, ACT 0200, AUSTRALIA

A. Lloyd Flanagan

Elaine Jackson said:
google for Sterling numbers

I'm pretty sure you mean "Stirling numbers". When I followed your
suggestion I got a lot of pages about businesses reporting "sterling
numbers" in their quarterly reports, and about marijuana, oddly
enough.