experienced C# programmer learning Java

yoda007x

I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

So, any recommendations?

Mark Space

yoda007x said:
I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

So, any recommendations?

_Learning Java_ by O'Reilly is a good start. It does cover basics like
control structures and syntax, but you need that because Java is just
different enough where extrapolating directly from C won't work all the
time. Learning Java covers enough advanced material to keep the books
as a reference for a long time. Be sure to get the latest edition
(third I think).

Also the online tutorial from Sun provides good information. I don't
find it as well organized as Learning Java, but it provides an excellent
way to get information and examples on nearly any subject you might need.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Along with the tutorial, the API reference is indispensable. Look up
classes with Google by appending " se 6" (with spaces) to the class name.

Finally, I like the javapassion.com site. It's maintained by a Sun
employee and researcher, and is an excellent resource for getting
started on many subjects. I found the intro to Java course useful. It
was very remedial in many ways, but the exercises writing code were good
reinforcement, and the organization of the course was better than
anything I could have come up with on my own. I managed to learn
something almost every class, even if it was just some productivity
quirk of NetBeans.

http://www.javapassion.com/
http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/

Arne Vajhøj

yoda007x said:
I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

I think you will find the C# -> Java move relative easy.

1) spend 10 minutes reading a list of differences between the
languages like http://www.25hoursaday.com/CsharpVsJava.html

2) download a copy of the JavaDocs for Java API so you can browse
it on your own PC

3) spend 10 minutes reading Java coding convention
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

4) start coding !!

:)

Arne

Wesley Mesquita

I think you will find the C# -> Java move relative easy.
1) spend 10 minutes reading a list of differences between the
2) download a copy of the JavaDocs for Java API so you can browse
it on your own PC
3) spend 10 minutes reading Java coding convention

I think most of people that use the two technologies learned first
Java and then went to C#, looking for it at amazon (using the keywords
"Java" and "C#") the search result in a lot of well rated books like
this: http://www.amazon.com/C-Java-Develo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202344882&sr=1-1
, which maybe useful. But I think the best advice it is to follow the
four steps in quote.

Roedy Green

I've got several years experience in C# and several more in C. Does
anyone have a recommended book, or website? I want to get something
that skips the "this is what a loop does" and "this is a variable.
Variables hold stuff". I know all that.

You should feel at home fairly soon. C# was designed as a dialect of
Java with more programmer-friendly syntax. Underneath they are
similar. In turn C# has inspired Java to adopt more
programmer-friendly syntax such as for:each.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

yoda007x

You should feel at home fairly soon. C# was designed as a dialect of
Java with more programmer-friendly syntax. Underneath they are
similar. In turn C# has inspired Java to adopt more
programmer-friendly syntax such as for:each.

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

These are some very insightful and useful responses, not to mention
timely. I appreciate it guys.

Yoda