External component has thrown an exception

Guest

1) We did an xcopy of our latest production build to our windows 2003 prod
server and started getting the exception below. Recycling the application on
the webserver seemed to have fixed the problem. Any ideas on why we got this
error?

Message: System.Web.HttpException: External component has thrown an
exception. ---> System.Web.HttpCompileException: External component has
thrown an exception.
at
System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.ThrowIfCompilerErrors(CompilerResults
results, CodeDomProvider codeProvider, CodeCompileUnit sourceData, String
sourceFile, String sourceString)
at System.Web.Compilation.BaseCompiler.GetCompiledType()
at System.Web.UI.PageParser.CompileIntoType()
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemThroughCompilation()
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItemInternal(Boolean
fCreateIfNotFound)
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.GetParserCacheItem()
at
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.CompileAndGetParserCacheItem(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledInstance(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceInternal(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context)
at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context,
String requestType, String url, String path)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)
at
System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()

2) We also got a different error on one of the pages:

CS1595 'XXX' is defined in multiple places: using definition from
"C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.net......"

which also got "fixed" after recycling the application.

Thanks!

Scott Allen

Other than saying there was a compile error in your ASPX page it hard
to tell. Did it show you the code generated for the ASPX page?

If this is an intermittent problem that comes and goes i'd be very
concerned.

Guest

It sounds like the running application forgot to recycle once new files were
copied over the old ones. I've seen this happen before but I have no idea
what causes it.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Both Scotts' suggestions.

Hi Stech,

Regarding on the symptom you described, I've searched for some former
issues which has the similiar problems. And one possbile cause is that when
we use xcopy to update (or deploy) web application's components( assemblies
in private bin folder), the old ones be replaced which cause the asp.net
application be restarted. Also, at the same time, the asp.net will request
the new assemblies so as to compile new dynamic components. However, if the
updated assemlies's count are huge, it may take some times to finish which
cause the components assemlies be locked by some external process such as
xcopy.exe. Then, some unexpected exceptions occurs.

Will the problems occur again if you have restart your IIS (also clear the
ASP.NET temporary dir)? Also, you can test by do the xcopy work repeatedly
to see whether the problems always occur when we do xcopy, if so, the
problems is likely caused by the one I mentioned above.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security