Feedback about Application (C++ Lib)

Stefan Ram

Renato Forti said:
Feedback about Application (C++ Lib)

Something is either an application or a library.

An application is defined by its external behavior,
by its user interface. It has a ::main method

A library is defined by its entry points, its API.
It has no ::main method.

General-purpose library code needs to be written with
greater care than average application code, especially when
it comes to error handling and resource management.
For example, an application might know that it can write
to stderr, so it can simply dump error messages there.
A general-purpose library cannot know whether output
to stderr will be visible, so it needs to use more
abstract means for reporting/logging.

Ian Collins

Stefan said:
Something is either an application or a library.

An application is defined by its external behavior,
by its user interface. It has a ::main method

A library is defined by its entry points, its API.
It has no ::main method.

It may not be common, but it isn't that rare either form a library to
provide main. This usually happens when there is common boilerplate
code to be executed before the application's entry point.

I first encountered this many years ago in a C++ library that wrapped
Motif. The library handled all of the drudgery of getting X and Motif
initialised, the application provided the event processing loop. I
currently do something similar for CGI applications.

Stefan Ram

Ian Collins said:
It may not be common, but it isn't that rare either form a library to

Ok, but then the client is not a standard C++ program
anymore, and the library is what I call a »framework«.

It is possible that »Application« is just the /name/ of the
library of the OP. But he chose title case for his subject
(»Lib« is also written in uppercase), so we cannot tell this
from the subject. In Usenet, sentence case is more common
for subjects I believe, which in this case would give:

Subject: Feedback about Application (C++ lib)

Öö Tiib

Ok, but then the client is not a standard C++ program
anymore, and the library is what I call a �framework�.

C++ standard does not address "modules", "libraries", "frameworks"
"applications" or "multiprocessing". Such things can be rather widely
portable but not "standard C++".
It is possible that �Application� is just the /name/ ofthe
library of the OP. But he chose title case for his subject
(�Lib� is also written in uppercase), so we cannot tellthis
from the subject. In Usenet, sentence case is more common
for subjects I believe, which in this case would give:

Yes, it is the case, the product seems to be named "Boost.Application"
and seems to be trying to deal with fact that "application" does not
exist in C++. It is trying to do it in portable manner.

Renato Forti

Em quinta-feira, 24 de abril de 2014 05h05min23s UTC-3, Öö Tiib escreveu:
C++ standard does not address "modules", "libraries", "frameworks"

"applications" or "multiprocessing". Such things can be rather widely

portable but not "standard C++".

Yes, it is the case, the product seems to be named "Boost.Application"

and seems to be trying to deal with fact that "application" does not

exist in C++. It is trying to do it in portable manner.

Yes, "Application" is tha name of product and your description is correct! (deal with fact that "application" does not exist in C++. It is trying to do it in portable manner)