Feedback needed

Steve Pugh

http://www.technologycommunity.com/

Feedback needed from layout and design:

alt.html.critique or comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design would
perhaps be better suited to discussing the layout and design.

From an HTML perspective:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.technologycommunity.com/site/phpBB2/index.php

And why Transitional for a new site? Or have you just got around to
converting a pre-HTML 4 page?

and for the CSS:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/.../site/phpBB2/index.php&warning=1&profile=css2
The error is a bit hard to work out from the message unless you
already know that @import must go at the start of any CSS not at the
end. And why is the CSS all in the HTML? It would be a lot more
efficient to have it in a separate file.

Horizontal scrolling starts at a window width of 960px which is
probably too high.

Looks much better with JavaScript disabled (no advertising, but shame
there's still a gap on the right where it would be).

What's with all the alt="e" and alt="tb" ? How do they help a user who
can't see your images?

Possibly most importantly you've used px for font sizes which means
that IE users can't resize your text without delving into the
configuration options and disabling all font sizing.

Okay that's probably enoug to keep you busy for a while.

Steve

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Matti said:
http://www.technologycommunity.com/

Feedback needed from layout and design:

Why is there a large blue empty margin (about 5cm wide) to the left?

It will not fit on my 800x600 monitor. Horizontal scrollbar makes
reading difficult. Use a fluid design.

Put your CSS in an external file, and do not include it in every page.
This way you only need to update one file to change every page.

Investigate using CSS and <div>'s for column placement, instead of tables.

I notice you have a link to the W3C validator on your links page. But
your site fails validation. There are some CSS errors as well.

Win2K, Firefox 1.0.
Sorry abot that it is in finnish.

I don't read Finnish, so can't comment on the content.

Jukka K. Korpela

Steve Pugh said:
alt.html.critique or comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design would
perhaps be better suited to discussing the layout and design.

Or sfnet.viestinta.www.palaute, a Finnish group, where the guy asked for
feedback, got it, and ignored it. I don't expect you'll have much better
chances of explaining the basics to him.

Matti Kiviharju

Thanks for the good feed back, HTML errors comes from banners, and if I
don't but baners to my site then there is no errors.

CSS is unchanged from phpBB2 forum software.

I can fix these problems by fixing banner codes and fixing the CSS.

Matti Kiviharju

Jukka said:
Or sfnet.viestinta.www.palaute, a Finnish group, where the guy asked for
feedback, got it, and ignored it. I don't expect you'll have much better
chances of explaining the basics to him.

Yes, you're right, forgive me I didn't know that alt.html.critique and
meaby the finnish news is beter for this.