FF Web Developer Extension

dorayme

Anyone notice a change in the way the FF Web Developer Extension now
does not wrap the CSS when opening in Edit mode. Could have sworn we
did not need the pesky horiz scroll bar or the full power (width) of a
big screen before this update.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
Anyone notice a change in the way the FF Web Developer Extension now
does not wrap the CSS when opening in Edit mode. Could have sworn we did
not need the pesky horiz scroll bar or the full power (width) of a big
screen before this update.

Hmm. You're right. It also shows up with line numbers, and in a color
combination that renders it unreadable. Alt-Shift-C isn't much better.

I have Web Developer 1.2.1 -- <http://tekrider.net/usenet/wdcss.jpg>

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Hmm. You're right. It also shows up with line numbers, and in a color
combination that renders it unreadable. Alt-Shift-C isn't much better.

I have Web Developer 1.2.1 -- <http://tekrider.net/usenet/wdcss.jpg>

Probably to accommodate the line numbers (which is a handy feature IMO).
If you don't like the syntax highlighting you can change it under
Options > Color. You can even disable it if you wish. Now is your Edit
CSS window a sidebar window, because mine is a bottom pane the full
width of the browser which normally I have set that will accommodate ~
72 chars?

Personally I like to group my rules and pre-wrap them for about 72 chars
window.

..foo {
margin: 1em 3em; padding: 1em; border: 2px solid #fff;
color: #fdd; background: #333 url(dark.png) repeat;

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan said:
Probably to accommodate the line numbers (which is a handy feature IMO).
If you don't like the syntax highlighting you can change it under
Options > Color. You can even disable it if you wish. Now is your Edit
CSS window a sidebar window, because mine is a bottom pane the full
width of the browser which normally I have set that will accommodate ~
72 chars?

Under Colors, I see only a choice of Theme: Light, Dark, None. I've set
it to None, but the sidebar is still hard-to-read light gray on white.
There is no choice in Options that I see to adjust the actual colors used.

(Yes it's a sidebar. My screen is much wider than it is tall, so I prefer
to have more available height for the webpage itself.)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed said:
Hmm. I'm not seeing any way to have the extension load in a
SeaMonkey/Firefox sidebar. Any idea how to do that?

On my picture above, see the grid-looking icon to the left of the red X.
Click it and choose where you want it to be. Bottom, left, right, top.

dorayme

If that is the reason, it's a bad one. The text in markup (the same
problem btw) and css could still wrap, the line numbers then spaced
out as in some text editors and source views.

Height is often more precious for many of us than width, but I can see
that it is no problem for Jonathan's way of looking.

Jonathan mentioned his wrap settings in his own work, but one of the
beaut things about the former sidebar extension tool wrapping was its
use in looking at other people's sites, over which there is no control.

Under Colors, I see only a choice of Theme: Light, Dark, None. I've set
it to None, but the sidebar is still hard-to-read light gray on white.
There is no choice in Options that I see to adjust the actual colors used.

Yes, there is a None and it is pretty plain, and best of all, it
allows the source or css to wrap! (thank you JL) True, you lose the
line numbers, Pedrick could have them too but it is probably harder
work to program with a wrap?

And the grey background and less than black text would be nice to
change but ... well, it's better than a poke in the eye with a burnt
stick.

Jonathan N. Little

Beauregard said:
Under Colors, I see only a choice of Theme: Light, Dark, None. I've set
it to None, but the sidebar is still hard-to-read light gray on white.
There is no choice in Options that I see to adjust the actual colors used.

Well the extension is in your user profile, for you

/home/beauregard?/.mozilla/firefox/profiles/RANDOM.default/extension/{B71ACFF2-E436-4cc7-B5E3-0C8E2CC981BA}.xpi

the XPI is a ZIP file, extract and hack away! ;-)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ed said:
Okay, I'm being incredibly dense here. And how do I get to the display
depicted in your .jpg?

Open the CSS Editing window from the toolbar (CSS > Edit CSS) or Alt+Shift
+D. If it doesn't appear as a left sidebar, follow the above instructions
with the grid-looking icon. You can drag the inner-facing border to widen/
narrow it.
Sorry, either I need to have not had the previous three drinks or I need
to have three more. Geez. And, yeah, I don't use the extension all
that much but when I need it, it is invaluable.

Try a Bud Lite Lime...